6 Acupoint Massages You Can D.I.Y to Help You Sleep Better
The chinese have long been treating insomnia with acupuncture and acupoints sucessfully. According to a study published in the Journal of Neuropsychiatry & Clinical Neurosciencesacupunture treatment helped increase quality sleep time for individuals suffering from sleeping problems. If you are afraid of needles or do not have the time or money to go for this fancy oriental treatment, fret not. These 6 acupoint massages which you can easily do yourself, anywhere and anytime, can help you improve sleep.
Here are 6 easy acupoint massages you can do yourself to improve sleep…
With the image above as a guide, locate the Baihui acupoint. It is the interception point between an imaginary line joining your ears and a line from the middle of your nose to the back of your head.
- After locating baihui, use three fingers to gently tap the point.
- Repeat for 50 to 100 counts.
The yintang point is located in the middle of your eyebrows.
- Place your index and middle finger of one hand on yintang point and move them vertically upwards, following the contours of your forehead
- As your fingers reaches the top of your forehead, use the same two fingers of your other hand to repeat the action.
- The fingers of each hand should be taking turns to move from the yintang point to the forehead smoothly and swiftly. If you do this correcting you will feel a slight upwards pull on the skin of your nose which can feel a little ticklish for some.
- Repeat the movement for 50-100 counts.
Zanzhu and Yuyao Acupoint
The zanzhu acupoint in located at the start of both eyebrows while the yuyao acupoint is located at in the middle of both eyebrow. This massage movement involves the two acupoints.
- Start by doing a thumbs down gesture with both hands. While maintaining the gesture, bring your thumbs up to the zanzhu acupoints. Make sure one thumb is on each zanzhu acupoint.
- Move your thumbs along your eyebrows, passing through the yuyao acupoints and ending at the end of your brows. This movement helps to soothe tension and sore spots on your eyes and foreheads
- Repeat the action for 50-100 counts.
The jianjing acupoint is located on your shoulders. Find the point in the middle, in between the start of your neck and the end of your shoulders.
- Locate your left jianjng point and place your right thumb on it.
- Massage the point by moving your thumb in small circular movements. Do this for 50-100 counts. This spot can be painful to some people especially when you apply too much pressure. Experiment with a few different pressure and stick to the pressure which provide the most therapeutic effect for you.
- Repeat the process on the jianjing point on your right shoulders with your left thumb.
The chinese characters 失眠, pronounced as “shimian”, literally translate to insomia. The shimian acupoint is located at the centre of the ball of your heel
- Locate the shimian acupoint on one heel and place your thumb or the kunckle of your index on the point.
- Massage the acupoint by moving your thumb or your kunckle in small circular movements. Do this for 50-100 counts.
- Repeat the process with the other heel.
The chinese characters 安眠, pronounced as “anmian”, literally translate to peaceful sleep. The anmian acupoints are located at the back of your head, around 1.5-2 inches from the start of your ears, and along your hairline. If you get the point correctly, you will feel a depression on your skull. (This acupoint can be hard to locate. You may wish to approach a TCM practioneer or acupuncturist to help you locate the point for the first time
- Place one thumb on each anmian acupoint. You can rest your palms on your head with your fingers on the top of your head.
- Massage the point by moving your thumb in small circular movements. Do this for 50-100 counts.
We recommend that you do this 6 acupoint massages while lying on bed or whenever you are trying to sleep. We can’t promise an immediate hypnosis (as it’s effectiveness varies from one to another) but these massages have a therapeutic effect and will help you relax to sleep better. If you read our pain relief tip on chinese medicated oil, you can use it along with these massages; simply dap some on your thumb or finger as you perform the acupoint massages.